SAE/DOT Approved vs. OEM Approved

Discussion in 'Automotive General Chat - Ticket & Recon Advice' started by KooK54, Jun 14, 2010.

1. KooK54

KooK54 Giant Squid in da pacific

yo, don't know if you guys had problems in the past but i'm looking to buy a set of projector halos off of ebay (i know, risky business). But i was looking over the descriptions and some come out and say "DOT/SAE approved" which doesn't make me skeptical. But the ones that make me skeptical are the ones that say "THESE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS ARE MADE BY OEM APPROVED MANUFACTURERS WITH QUALITY MEET OEM STANDARD".

I would go with the DOT/SAE approved because they seem like they are not trying to hide something. i know i'm not the only one on here that have purchased headlights on ebay so what do you guys think/experiences/tips? would you guys stick with one manufacturer more than another? all of this just for a safety check. :hmmm:

2006 Scion TC - [​IMG]
  2. BMWDriver

BMWDriver Bah, Humbug! Staff Member

The best thing to do is ask if it has a DOT stamp on the headlight itself. That means it has been approved by the DOT for use on our roads. If a RECON or safety inspector looks at your vehicle, they usually look for this stamp on the lens or assembly.

Of course, just because it has DOT doesn't mean it is approved as you can get anything done in China.
  3. 808_State

808_State Good, good...

Both sentiments are exactly what I was thinking. I also thought that unless your vehicles comes OEM with HID lighting that it was illegal modify it so that it does no matter what the procedure (retrofit etc.).
  4. kalihicop

kalihicop Moderator Staff Member

You can have an OEM manufacter that makes products for OEMs and for aftermarket suppliers. The build quality can meet or exceed OEM standards but the actual part may not meet OEM or OER specifications.
  5. 1NEETOE

1NEETOE FH's illegal immigrant Staff Member

I almost bought a set of LED tail lights for my car until I realized they're made on the euro-spec tail light housing which is not DOT approved. ****ty deals since theose LED's are pretty sweet.
  6. red90gt

red90gt bOo Cake FTW!

I think u need recon for it if its not stamp=failed. If stamped=maybe pass recon.
    I would fail u for a safety

Jus buy it and see what happens. See if it fits(most likely not gonna fit right)
  7. red90gt

red90gt bOo Cake FTW!

I think u need recon for it if its not stamp=failed. If stamped=maybe pass recon.
    I would fail u for a safety

Jus buy it and see what happens. See if it fits(most likely not gonna fit right)
  8. MrBkkt-1

MrBkkt-1 Well-Known Member

My evolution VII tails do not have a dot stamp, yet I've passed every safety check. It does have the correct reflectors though.
  9. 4wheeler808

4wheeler808 Power User

just make sure it has a stamp on the housing itself (DOT/SAE)
    reason why aftermarket HID headlights/Projectors are illegal is simply because they are not DOT/SAE APPROVED.....
  10. 1NEETOE

1NEETOE FH's illegal immigrant Staff Member

I may be wrong but you can upgrade to HID's if it is available on a higher trim of the same model. For example, a dodge challenger RT comes with regular halogens but the SRT 8 comes with HID's. So that makes it legal for the RT to be retrofitted with HID's.

It's more than just the DOT/SAE stamp when it comes to HID's.