nursing question

Discussion in 'FH Lounge' started by uataruxmu, Apr 30, 2009.

1. uataruxmu

uataruxmu Nisei

i transfered to HPU because it was the easier program. i originally was at LCC but i was attracted to HPU because it was easier. however they just recently changed the requirements of HPU and it is basically the same thing with UHMs nursing program. is paying 7000 a semester at hpu worth it or should i go to UH and pay 3500 a semester. is UHMs nursing program that bad and when i complete the prereqs can i apply to both KCC and UHM nursing programs. my life is hard and parents are salty at the tuition of HPU. need help!
  2. Mcubed45

Mcubed45 Power User

define "easier". nursing is not easy.

admission to HPU is "easier" b/c they base admission on how long you've been at HPU. basically the more $$$ you spend at HPU, the better your chances of admission.

UHM & KCC are highly competitive. you'll need pretty much all A's and at most 1 or 2 B's on your pre-reqs along with a decent NLN or NET exam score. many students that don't make the cut for UHM/KCC transfer to HPU where they know they will eventually be accepted after taking a few semester's of HPU credits.

assuming you could get in, UHM/KCC would probably be a much better investment financially. as far as the programs themselves, HPU's program is a bit more theory based while KCC is more clnical based. UHM lies somewhere in the middle. really depends on your preference.
  3. ...lost

...lost on tilt

There's a really good thread about all this a ways back....hrmm...I'd say go search for it but I'm feeling nice so I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Cliff notes:
    UHM/KCC nursing = way harder, but worth it in the end.
  4. ...lost

...lost on tilt

5. rms6000

rms6000 Senior Member

even tho hpu changed their requirements, i think it's still easier to get into hpu's program than UH. but that all depends on your GPA... if it's good, regardless of how little HPU credits you have, i think you would still have a good chance of getting into the program.
  6. Mcubed45

Mcubed45 Power User

nope. the primary basis for admission is your "tier" (i.e. the number of HPU credits you've accumulated). admissions are setup to generate maximum revenue. they know how badly student want to get into nursing program and HPU is bleeding them for all their worth.

*edit*

actually it looks like they've done with the tier system per se, but HPU credits still factor into admissions. the more HPU credits, the higher your chances of admission.

http://www.hpu.edu/index.cfm?contentID=3822

[FONT=&quot]Effective immediately[/FONT][FONT=&quot], students must fulfill the following three (continuing) minimum qualification criteria for eligibility: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]overall GPA of at least a 2.75[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]completion of prerequisite courses (non-NUR courses and NUR 2000) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]current enrollment in HPU [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Once these criteria are fulfilled, students will then be rank-ordered according to the four selection categories as follows:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Overall GPA[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Students will be required to have a minimum overall GPA of at least 2.75. This includes grades from all schools attended. The higher the overall GPA, the higher the score for this category.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]GPA in prerequisite science-based courses[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Science courses have been shown to be a good indicator of success in Nursing courses. The science GPA will be calculated by including grades for CHEM 1000, CHEM 2030, A&P I and II with labs, and BIOL 3040 taken at HPU or a previous college or university. The higher the prerequisite science GPA, the higher the score for this category. Students have the option of repeating each prerequisite science course only once to improve the grade. Those two grades would then be averaged for the purpose of ranking for entry into clinical nursing courses. HPU students are encouraged to take advantage of the individualized face-to-face tutoring assistance available to all registered students free of charge at the Tutoring Center.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Scores on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The TEAS is a scholastic aptitude test consisting of four content areas: Math, Reading, English, and Science. According to research, the TEAS test is an excellent predictor of success on the national licensing exam for professional nursing at the RN level (NCLEX-RN). Points for this category will be assigned based upon earned scores for the Reading and Math subsections.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]HPU credits. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Students will be awarded points for this category based on the number of earned Hawai‘i Pacific University credits.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  7. freud

freud Member

yep, this is already in effect for those starting level one in the fall.
    just do really well in your science prerequisites, have a good overall gpa, have a modest amount of hpu credits, and do really good on the t's test.
    A guy I know got in with less then 20 hpu credits, but he had a 4.0 science and overall gpa, what a kick in the nuts. My other friends w/ 80+ hpu credits did not get in.