BEST CHICKEN KATSU

Discussion in 'Local kine grinds, Recipes & Dining' started by IINEKKID, Sep 7, 2010.

1. IINEKKID

IINEKKID Senior Member

Where do you go for some really good chicken katsu? My all time favorite would be the Old Diners but since they've closed down (and don't even try comparing it to the New Diners because it isn't the same!) I've been looking for another katsu place that's just as good. 15+ years later and I'm still looking!

2. FREAKAH

FREAKAH Member

Ramen-Ya in Pearl City across from Wal-Mart and right in front of the new Longs.

The chicken is really tender.

Great ramen too!

3. yakimaroofrack

yakimaroofrack OG Triple OG

im on that same boat! let me know if you find a place.

4. JamHerUki

JamHerUki HellaFuk'd

Dai ichi in Aiea

5. eisforelectronic

eisforelectronic viper pilot

6. Pocket Lint

Pocket Lint Senior Member

This.

7. RyanK

RyanK Member

http://www.forumshawaii.com/topic/28568-tastiest-chicken-katsu-plate-on-island/

I've had quite a few places and I find Fatboys to be the best, theres one in waipio and one in Kailua. Thye also have some of the best mac salad.

8. Myth

Myth Junior Member

I only order from fatboys specials. I always get tossed salad instead of mac because I find they have the worst mac salad, tho I only eat at the Waipio one does the Kailua location have different mac?

Never thought id be saying this but Waipio Loco Moco has some pretty good chicken katsu.

9. maleko808

maleko808 F.E. cuhz

i know its not 5 star cuisine. but the two L&L's in ewa make some decently good katsu too.

10. elite_dub

elite_dub Senior Member

North Shore grinds 10th ave off Waialae .. tender chicken winna sauce

11. IINEKKID

IINEKKID Senior Member

I'll have to try all these places out! Just have to spread it out, maybe once a month, don't want to get fat! Hah. But Grace's Inn and Zippys Kailua have been decent for me. Maybe it's the sauce. I don't like mine too sweet like L&Ls.

12. bandits1

bandits1 Power User

Grace's has been a decent replacement for the old Diner's. Not as oily, though, and I miss the oil haha. The other week I actually got a chicken katsu from Zippy's that reminded me of old Diner's. It had extra plenty panko on it and they left in the fryer a little too long so it came out crispier than usual. F*ckers should do that all the time.

13. RyanK

RyanK Member

Never been to the Kailua one, I've only ate at the Waipio one, guess we just have different tastes in mac salad. I find that L&L Miliani isnt too bad either, definitely in my top 3.

14. kaitaiya

kaitaiya sleeper keeper

bang for your buck, DA kitchen across old staduim park in the St louis alumni clubhouse. they give you 3 slabs of chicken and still around $7.

15. driftahboi

driftahboi ballin/4bangn/2stroken

they got chicken katsu?! mean!

16. Myth

Myth Junior Member

I find it extremely bland in flavor. Actually I think flavor is almost non existent in their mac. But their daily fish specials is winnaz!

17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Power User

I've been trying to find out how to cook it myself. I know it has to do with marinating the chicken in some type of liquor or Japanese thing. Cuz when I cook mine straight up chicken with salt and pepper, da bugga no taste like restaurant kine.

18. kiapolo

kiapolo I'm not a rapper.

you can brine the chicken (simple brine - water, salt, sugar/mirin even). Make sure you tenderize the chicken first before you egg and panko it. I don't do any marinating/brining and the stuff is still ono!

19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Power User

Yups, the mirin is the thing I was talking about. Couldn't think of it off the top of my head.

Do you tenderize even if I am using the thin sliced breasts?

20. kiapolo

kiapolo I'm not a rapper.

that may be your problem. Do chicken thighs...tenderize those bad boys (flatten out the thighs after de-boning them)...makes a huge difference in flavor and texture using thighs instead of breast or tenders. Otherwise, no, you don't have to tenderize thin slices of chicken breast, but you would do well to marinate/brine those thin slices for 20-30 minutes before breading and frying to avoid the breast from drying out and having no flavor.